5 Healthy Snacks to Eat at Your Desk
What you choose to eat in a day not only affects your weight and health but also your mental clarity and ability to focus. When you are reaching for high-sugar meals that only provide a short energy burst, they actually make you more tired, irritable and unfocused in the long run. Being busy, fatigued, or overwhelmed can lead to poor eating decisions during the workday, but luckily, we’ve got some healthy alternatives for you!
Check out our 5 Healthy Snacks to Eat at Your Desk:
1. Hummus and Veggies: These are easily packable and you can change up which veggies and hummus flavours you use each week to keep it interesting. And did you know chickpeas are a good source of fiber, calcium, iron and protein? This keeps you feeling full and prevents blood sugar spikes for sustained energy throughout your day.
2. Raw Cashews and Clementines: This is one of our favourites! We like to call this brain food because of the good fats from the raw cashews, and the vitamins and minerals in the clementines keep your immune system in good shape and keep your energy levels up! You’ll wonder how you got by before you tried this snack!
3. Almond Butter and Celery Sticks: This one is another easily packable snack that you can make the night before, and you can change up the veggie or use apple or pear instead of celery. The combination of good fat again from a raw nut source like the almond butter with vitamins, minerals and complex carbohydrate from the veggie or fruit is a great combination for good energy and brain health! It just happens to be tasty too ;)
4. Pre-made Smoothie: This is an awesome way to pack in a TON of nutrients during your workday and you can make it in the morning and keep it in your work fridge until you are ready to enjoy it! Combine a plant based or organic grass fed whey protein powder with 1 cup of spinach, 1-2 tbsp of organic hemp seed oil or chia seeds (for a good fat source), ½ cup of blueberries (another awesome brain food loaded with antioxidants) and ½ frozen banana or avocado to add texture. The combination of good fat, protein and complex carbohydrates will keep you feeling full and stop you from grabbing those sugary muffins, lattes and baked goods!
5. Trail Mix: A major staple in our workday is a raw nut and seed trail mix! You can toss together raw almonds, cashews, walnuts, Brazil nuts (all high in antioxidant minerals and fiber) with raw seeds such as pumpkin, sunflower or hemp, and for a bit of sweetness add in some toasted unsweetened coconut flakes (trust me, coconut has enough sweetness on its own!). I like to portion these out before my work-week starts, into ¼ cup portions in separate containers so I can just grab and throw into my lunch each day. This snack is major brain fuel and contributes to healthy fats in your diet, crucial for brain function.
We hope you enjoy these desk snack suggestions. These will help you focus, increase your energy and satisfy your cravings in a healthy way so you can concentrate on having a high vibe, productive day.